Monday, January 7, 2013

Where Did They Go? Part II...... H-Town Forever











A late night I thought to back to when we made good love
Listening to some Marvin Gaye all night long
But I want that whole thing back
Make these moments once again go right
So wontcha, so wontcha, do it for us babe

Good loving body rockin' knockin boots all night long, yeah
Making love until we're tired, till the break of dawn.oh come on
Oh come on and turn the lights down and let me get on it yeah
Cause when I do just me and you, it'll be so right

Give me some good love (some body rockin, knockin da boots)
Give me some good love (some body rockin, knockin da boots)



H-Town "Knockin Da Boots" 1993








Twenty years later I still listen to H-Town's music they were similar to Jodeci they had a little bit of the bad boy image but they could sing their butts off.  As a kid my mother played their music in the car around the house and she still does to this day. They were three guys born and raised in Houston, Texas the group was originally founded by twin brothers Keven “Dino” Conner, Solomon “Shazam” Conner, Adrian "Flash" Washington and their longtime friend Darryl “G.I.” Jackson in 1992.


Picture of H-Town


Brief History: Growing up in a family of singers, brothers Keven and Solomon Conner began their careers singing in talent shows and plays before a local producer sent their demo tape to 2LiveCrew rapper and record label executive Luther "Luke" Campbell. After an audition Luke signed to his label Luke Records. They took the name of the group, "H-Town," from the local nickname for the city of Houston, Texas, in which they grew up.










The group has released four albums although the 2004 album Imitations of Life was not as successful as previous as albums most fans believe that was because of bad promotion and the death of Keven "Dino" Conner.









H-Town Hit Singles: "Knockin Da Boots," " Lick U Up," " Part Time Lover," "Emotions," "Full Time" "A Thin Between Love and Hate," " Natural Woman," " They Like It Slow,"  "Pink Sky" and " Nothing in Common."






Death of Dino
On January 28, 2003, Dino was killed in an automobile accident in Houston, Texas. According to police, Dino had just left a recording studio and was a passenger in a car being driven by his girlfriend, 22-year-old Teshya Rae Weisent. Their vehicle was struck by an SUV that ran a red light, and both Dino and Weisant were killed.
Three people were in the SUV, all of whom fled after the accident. One of them, Juan Diaz, was later apprehended, however, and faced a felony charge of failure to stop and render aid. One thing about Dino was not only was he a great singer but a very talented songwriter that told great stories. I feel as though he had a premonition about his own death because the song and video for "The Day I Die" is exactly how he died.





Recent Years: Shazzam and G.I. have released mix tapes and still tour they  are working on an album now. I feel as though they are an "Unsung" group.





4 comments:

  1. Come back I want to hear you sing. Your songs would make me smile and I would say listen to those young fellas. I would love to have a cd of you do bring your music back. I love H Town .God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I grew up listening to H-Town and still do are you guys still reside in Houston if so it would be an honor to meet you and see you perform

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest in peace dino I still miss you brother its me candyman whats up gi & shazam I love you guys. Peace

    ReplyDelete