Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pick up a Dictionary




Prologue Wake Up, People. Wake Up!
Truth No.1 There is still a stigma attached to being black in America.

Truth No. 2 There is nothing that we can do about it. No matter now wealthy, how cultured, how educated, how well-spoken, you may be, if you're black, it doesn't matter you may still be treated like a nigger.
Truth No.3 So what to Truths 1 and 2.

It's time we focus on our lives and use the obstacles as stepping stones. It's time we tighten our collective game and make racism and prejudice irrelevant to us the way so many other groups have done, because the real truth is, we, as black people, spend far too much time trying to get white people (and others) to accept us. - Nannie Helen Burroughs
Karen Hunter

A few months ago I spoke to one of my peers about a book called Stop Being Niggardly And Nine Other Things Black People Need to Stop Doing. I admit at that when the young lady said the word to me I was surprised and clueless. She explained what it meant to me but as the author Karen Hunter says that if you are do not take the time to understand the meaning behind the word, then you do not have the right to get offended by it. So what does niggardly mean? 1. Stingy,miserly; not generous 2. Begrudging about spending or granting 3. Provided in a meanly limited supply.


I am almost finished with the book and I am so glad that I had the chance to read it Karen Hunter addresses many issues that have been on mind. It seems as though all the words that came to my mind she put them on paper. One of my favorite chapters in the book is when Hunter discusses the Civil Rights Movement and the people that were involved. I like she still takes the time to respect Dr. King's philosophies but makes a strong emphasis on how Malcolm X and people that had a militant attitude help bring forth change. She discusses how Black people help liquor companies, Korean owned hair care supply stores, and many other business make large profits from our consumption but somehow we never use things to our own advantage. I do not want to spoil all the details for anyone that might want to read the book but I advise you to purchase and learn how to apply her advice to your own life (especially if you are an African-American).






No comments:

Post a Comment