Monday, July 22, 2013

Watch Your Mouth





Last year Legendary Actor & Activist Harry Belafonte criticized Jay Z and Beyonce' in a nutshell he accused them of  social and political apathy.



What did he say? " I think one of the greatest abuses of this modern time is that we should have had such high-profile artists, powerful celebrities. But they have turned their back on social responsibility," he accused. "That goes for Jay-Z and Beyonce', for example. Give me Bruce Springsteen, and now you're talking. I really think he is black."  Harry Belafonte




What Did Jay-Z say? Recently Jay-Z responded to Mr. Belafonte's remarks on his the song "Nickles & Dimes" from his latest album.

"For Mr. Belafonte come and chop a nigga down
Respect these youngins boy, its my time now
Hublot homie two door homie
You don't know all the shit I do for the homies"

"Nickles & Dimes" Jay-Z





Toni's Thoughts: I understand why Mr. Belafonte would  be upset with this generation of African Americans a lot of my peers and associates have social, political, and racial apathy. We live in a society with less morals the wrong thing to do is not only embraced it is celebrated. Although I think he was being a little unfair Jay-Z and Beyonce' have done a lot of charity work away from the media. I just feel as though they have  not done everything in front of a camera they are very private about everything. Beyonce' handled Mr. Belafonte's remarks with class and respect she apologized promised to do more and had her team send him the work she has done thus far. As for her husband Jay-Z  I will say he was wrong to address Mr. Belafonte in the manner that he did. Jay-Z in his forties therefore he could have contacted Mr. Belafonte and sat down with him and had a personal conversation. You still have to respect your elders I understand why Jay-Z would be pissed off because its like if you don't know me or my personal affairs don't judge me but he should have handled this with more class Mr. Belafonte is in his 80's he should be addressed at "Sir" or "Mister."


Harry Belafonte is an activist and entertainer, from the entertainment aspect if wasn't for him people like Jay-Z and Beyonce' would not be here today. His work laid a foundation for them even though I don't  agree with everything Mr. Belafonte has said or done he deserves the up most respect at all times. I didn't think it was right for him to accuse them for not being black enough I mean back in the 1960s Malcolm X criticized Harry Belafonte and many other famous African Americans of the time for being sell outs. His argument was they wanted integration because they had white spouses and one of the people he was referring to was Mr. Belafonte so that is something to think about. I still love the "King of Calypso."

No comments:

Post a Comment