Sunday, September 1, 2013

Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" Behind "Got to Give It Up"



The most popular song of 2013 was Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" a song about partying, sex, and drugs this has been the one of the largest hits of Robin Thicke's career next to "Lost Without You." I have been a fan of Robin Thicke since I was in middle school because that is when his first album dropped although it wasn't successful he eventually would achieve commercial success with the release of his sophomore album The Evolution of Robin Thicke, One thing I have noticed on every album Robin draws inspiration from artists like Prince, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. The first time I heard "Blurred Lines" I thought it was a new Marvin Gaye song or a sample from his mega hit "Got to Give It Up." I am going to play the Soul Train performance to the song and you will hear and see why Robin Thicke is getting sued by Marvin Gaye's family.






Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams, and Clifford Harris Jr. aka T.I. are going to court to secure their profits and ownership from the song "Blurred Lines" they claim that Marvin Gaye's family and Funkadelic's rights owner who have asserted that the song wasn't original.

Toni's Thoughts: I have been a fan of Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell for years but right is right, and wrong is wrong with that being said they need to pay the royalties and the Gaye family deserves an apology. It does not take rocket scientists to know that this comes from Marvin Gaye and Robin has been using his style for years. I have a couple of questions. Why is Robin Thicke offering Marvin Gaye's family six figures? Why did they file the lawsuit first? The next post is Marvin Gaye's Soul Train performance of Got to Give It Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment