Sunday, December 16, 2012

Guns In America and The Second Amendment





The Second Amendment is apart of the United States Bill of Rights that protect the rights of people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791.





What does it state? Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.



Toni's Thoughts: I am a Political Science major so I understand the Bill of Rights, Roe V Wade, Civil Rights of 1964, and many other important documents although I do believe we need some restrictions with our gun laws in the United States. I do not think guns should be banned all together but I do  feel as though  too many people are taking advantage of Second Amendment for the wrong reasons. With the recent school massacres from 1999 until 2012 we have some things to reconsider. I understand some people use guns to hunt but we are not living in the Wild Wild West. Children and school teachers have just lost their lives. If we require paper work and examinations for our citizens to get drivers licenses then there should be some ramifications for obtaining a gun license. People with mental health issues, war veterans, serial killers, some ex-cons are people that should not have guns in their possession.








We are living in a time where you it is not safe to attend a movie theater or for children to attend school. I understand the world can be a dangerous place but is it really necessary to give certain people a chance to shoot up elementary schools and movie theatres. Some people may argue and say guns don't kill people, people kill people. To me that is a bogus statement stop making excuses. If you put the gun in the hands of a crazy person bad things happen. I know we do not live in a perfect world there are some seriously disturbed individuals out there have you seen shows like Criminal Minds and Law & Order. Anyway we still need to make an effort to change things that is all I'm saying.






When I was high school I remember some of my classmates telling me that they held their first guns on hunting trips at the age of four. Think about that for a moment. Why is that being normalized to a child that early I remember sitting in class that day saying WTF out loud. Chris Rock once said " America is the only country in the world where you can go hunting on a full stomach."

No comments:

Post a Comment