Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oh Smokey









Oooh La La La La
I did you wrong
my heart went out to play & in the game
I lost you what a price to pay
I'm cryin'
Oooh Baby,
Baby Oooh Baby, Baby
Mistakes I know I've made a few
But I'm only human
You've made mistakes too
I'm cryin'
Oooh Baby
Baby Oooh Baby Baby
Ooo Baby Baby
Oooh Baby Baby


Smokey Robinson and the Miracles





William "Smokey" Robinson, Jr. was born on this day in 1940, in  Detroit Michigan he is a legendary singer-songwriter, record producer,  and former record executive. Smokey was the founder and front man of one of Motown's first musical groups which as the Chimes later known as The Miracles. They formed in 1955 and disbanded in 1972. He was the man behind some Motown classic hits from artists such as "My Guy" for Mary Wells, "Ain't That Peculiar" Marvin Gaye, "The Way You Do The Things You Do" The Temptations " Since I Lost My Baby" and their breakout hit "My Girl." He also wrote "Who's Loving You" which would later become known as the "little Michael Jackson song."










Smokey had success as solo artists n the 1970s and 1980s. He also developed a drug addiction to cocaine in the 1970s and eventually he began using crack after the death of his father and friend Marvin Gaye.  In 1986 Smokey got clean and has been sober since. After Motown was sold to MCA in 1988 he left his job as Vice-President of Motown 1990.




Smokey Robinson is a legend in the African American  musical community he was a member of the historical  Motown machine and he is one my influences as a songwriter. Happy birthday Smokey

No comments:

Post a Comment