Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lost in Translation 2: Don't Call Me That




As a a human being I show respect as much as I command respect as a woman, and as an African-American. I do not use the infamous "N-word" nor do I like to use the word ghetto and if I do say it I feel guilty. One word I do not and will not identity myself as is "minority" it is unacceptable and is nothing more than a professional way to insult someone who is not "White." In this post I am going to explain the definition of the word and shed insight from another source.
African American Legendary Actor Billy Dee Williams



What is the base behind the word minority mean? The base word of minority is "minor" and the dictionary defines minor as: "inferior in dignity, rank or importance.... inferior in number, quantity or extent."

Puerto Rican Baseball Player Roberto Clemente

Why is it offensive to me? Writers, intellectuals and media often refer to African-Americans, Latinos, and other people of color as minorities, but it is an inappropriate term.


John N. Doggett says " I'm not a minority; I'm an American I am not a victim; I'm a victor." Doggett also had this to say: "Think about the meaning of the word minority. There is nothing positive about it. Minority shareholder, minority rights or minority party. All mean the same thing: You have no power. Well I don't accept that that. So I refuse to allow anyone to call me a minority."

Italian Former Model and Actor Antonio Sobato Jr.




I feel as though it is foolish to label people that have a certain color of skin a minority when almost everyone person within the Unites States of America's population is a descendant of people that come from Ireland, England,  Italy, France, all forms of Europe. The Native Americans and Hispanics are the original indengious people to the US soil if you pay attention and analyze history.  For example almost every city in the states of Texas and California have spanish names Flordia as well.Africans were pretty much the only group of people that did not want to be in America although the first Africans that arrived in America were not slaves they were indentured servants. 

Native American Actor Taylor Lautner



So that would almost make everyone a minority but since people have tried to get specific I had to shed some kind of knowledge. My main point is the word is offensive and I urge others not to call themselves or their peers this name. If we want to get real about everyone person has color so we are all "colored" people.

No comments:

Post a Comment