Monday, April 2, 2012

The Prince of Motown, Prince of Soul



I want you the right way
I want you
But I want you to want me too
Want you to want me, baby
Just like I want you

I give you all the love
I want in return, sweet darlin'
But half a love is all I feel
It's too bad, it's too sad
You don't want me now
But I'm gonna change your mind
Someway, somehow, oh baby
"I Want You" Marvin Gaye



From 1958-1984 Marvin Gaye wrote and sang songs that made us fall in love, lust, and challenged audiences to understand the meaning of "Inner City Blues" and "Love Mother Earth." Marvin began his career as a member of the doo-wop group the Moon glows after the group disbanded he became a session drummer at Motown Records. As the 1960's rolled on Marvin became known for his solo hits as well his duets with Kim Weston and Tammi Terrell.




After  the death of close friend and singing partner Tammi Terrell he fell into a depression and didn't record or perform any music after her death although he returned to Motown on June 1, 1970.
Marvin achieved more success with his music during the 1970s and infleunces the genres of quiet storm,  urban adult contemporary  R&B, slow jam genres.



After a self-imposed European exile in the early 1980s, Gaye returned on the 1982 Grammy-Award winning hit, "Sexual Healing" and the Midnight Love album before his death. Gaye was shot dead by his father on April 1, 1984. He was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.


In 2008, the American music magazine Rolling Stone ranked Gaye at number 6 on its list of the Greatest Singers of All Time,[6] and ranked at number 18 on 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.He was also ranked at number 20 on VH1's list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.


Happy Birthday Brother Marvin we miss you thank you for giving the music, talent, passion, and swagger.

No comments:

Post a Comment