Friday, October 15, 2010

50/50

" I belong to that classification of people known as wives. I am a Wife. And, not altogether incidentally, I am a mother." "I would like to go back to school so that I can become economically independent, support myself, and if need be, support those dependent upon me. I want a wife who will work and send me to school. And while I am going to school I want a wife to take care of my children. I want a wife to keep track of the children's doctor and dentist appointments."



"I want a wife who is sensitive to my sexual needs, a wife who makes love passionately and eagerly when I feel like it, a wife who makes sure that I am satisfied." These words from written by Judy Brady from her piece "I Want a Wife" Brady became one of the best-known manifestos in popular feminist writing. As you can see in the text she discusses all the task a woman performs as a mother and wife. I discovered this piece of writing in my English class although I think there is a message behind it. Both men and women needs to examine their roles in relationships. In our society it seems as though the mother is expected to be the primary care taker of the children while the father only tucks the kids in at night. This assumption brings about an unfair mentality that gives both men and women problems. What is wrong with our foundation? How can we come together? What are we teaching our children?


No comments:

Post a Comment