Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just Ordinary People



Disclaimer: I'm am going to interrupt my Black Music Month dedication post for a brief moment. It has recently been brought to my attention that June is National Gay and Lesbian Month so this blog post is dedicated all gay and lesbian individuals that are living their lives in a same-sex relationship or marriage. Also the month of October is LGBT History Month.
 As a heterosexual woman I have no problem with supporting my fellow human being as long as he or she is not harming anyone.

Gay Author, Poet, and Writer James Baldwin

As a Broadcasting News major we learned in class about the turbulent decades of the 1960's and 1970's and all that happened during this time period events such as the assinations of JFK, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., Bobby Kennedy, Women Rights Movement, Native American Movement, and Gay and Lesbian Rights Movement and one event we learned about was Stonewall Riots in Greenwich Village in 1969. This was a great time to be a journalist.

Images from Stonewall Riot circa 1969

How did this annual month long celebration come about? On June 2, 2000 President Bill Clinton declared June as "Gay and Lesbian Month" although within the last a couple of years 2009-2011 President Obama declared June to be Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride month; President Obama said “I call upon all Americans to observe this month by fighting prejudice and discrimination in their own lives and everywhere it exists.” The Stonewall Riots sparked a change in Gay and Lesbian community back in 1969 so this annual month celebration commemorates that. The last Sunday in the month is known and celebrated as Gay Pride Day.

Gay CNN News Anchor Don Lemon
How is it celebrated? People in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community celebrate this month with pride parades, picnics, parties, memorials for those lost hate crimes, and other social events.

Lesbian Congresswoman and Civil Rights Activist Barbara Jordan

My Final Thoughts: A few months ago I watched an interview well briefly because it became boring but anyway. Two gay men were talking to straight men about their life and sexuality well they were arguing. On the screen I saw a statistic saying that 11% of the US population is gay actually I think that is false I feel as though that number higher than  what we think I really don't even think people within this community are a "minority" which is a word I despise and I advice others not identify themselves as such. I mean think how many people that we don't know are gay. Its good to know that the people in this community are allowed to celebrate who they are and surround themselves around people that understand them and their world. I titled this post "Ordinary People" because they are just that. One thing I do disagree with is the Rainbow thing I don't feel as though the rainbow should just be a symbol for the gay community I feel as though if a rainbow has different colors then that should represent all people gay, straight, fat, skinny, tall, short etc. That's just my insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment