Saturday, June 18, 2011

King of Neo-Soul



I came wrong, you were right
Transformed your love into life
Baby believe me, I'm sorry I told you lies

"Pretty Wings" Maxwell Summer 2009


The neo-soul genre came about in the mid to late 1990's. and early 2000's. With artists like D'Angelo, Eyrkah Badu, Lauryn Hill, and Raphael Saadiq just to name a few. But one man that I have been in love with besides Usher and Ginuwine since I was a kid in the 90's was Maxwell. He bursts onto the scene with his debut single in 1996 Ascension (Don't You Ever Wonder) and released albums such as Embrya, Now, and took a seven year hiatus and released BlackSummersNight in July 2009 which is the first part of a triology.



Born in Brooklyn,NY on May 23, 1973. His father was a Pentecostal man raised in Vie ques, Puerto Rico and his mother grew up a devout Baptist in Haiti. Maxwell always had a passion for music but was bashful  about it his talents. In one interview he said that he would stay in his room sing and write song lyrics in his room while listening to music.


He began working with songwriter Leon Ware to work on his debut album he was signed to Columbia Records although the label was skeptical about his style of music so his album was shelved from 1994 until 1996 although audiences didn't catch on until the release of Ascension ( Don't You Ever Wonder.) He was nominated for many Grammys but did not win any Grammy awards until 2010.



Why Do We Love Him? Ladies such as myself swoon over his voice and the way he looks very handsome. I admit I was a little sad to see that he cut his afro off but hey people always need a fresh start. He looks handsome with his facial hair coming in.


Favorite songs: "Whenever, Wherever, Whatever" "Fortunate," "This Woman's Work," "Lifetime," " Pretty Wings," "Bad Habits," and "Fistful of Tears."

I'm glad Maxwell is back in the game he puts me in the mind of Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke he can blow. Like this post if you support talent. In my personal opinion he is the King of Neo-Soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment