Saturday, June 19, 2010

145 Still Going Strong

All my life I have been passionate about history even the days I was lazy in class my teacher still knew I had a great love for the subject. Before I go any further in the subject that I am about to discuss I am aware that many other people have been enslaved and mistreated such as the Jews, Irish Catholics, Hispanics, etc. but even these people are able to celebrate their own independence day. Today marks the 145th anniversary of the day that the terrible institution of slavery had ended. President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863 although it took the state of Texas  what it seems like two years to recieve the news according to an old folktale  President Lincoln sent the news from Washington through a union soldier who rode all they way on mule. On the other hand historians say that many slave owners had been aware of the Emancipation Proclamation but never told their slaves about it. Initially that doesn't suprise me why would they if they knew the slaves were not supposed to know how to read and write anyway. Take the time to enlighten your children about their history and enjoy this celebration we now know as "Juneteenth Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment